Since most of what I post is links and other junk, here is a page of my favorite posts and family updates (lost in the archives).
- A half-baked beginning
- A great personal story from Kenya
- How can you possible study when . . . ?
- A midnight rescue
- CS Lewis on studying during wartime
- my story and THE story
- Feeling at home as a TCK
- What’s that animal touching our tent???
- What do you want to do with your PhD? (comic)
- Of gods and geysers; Bogoria stories of origin, Noah’s ark and the Red Sea
- Why does the black guy always have to be the one explaining race and racism?
- Black Africans saved Judah?
- Armed Thieves at Njeri’s house
- Things I will miss when my kids grow up
- Practical steps for addressing Ethnocentrism: Part 1, Part 2
- Teach in Africa for a summer or sabbatical
- Postures and trajectories in the Westminster Debate
- The Beast, 666, and Emperor Domitian
- The 3 Stages of Malaria
- Honesty in blogging – litmus tests?
- Bird’s advice to NT PhD Students (directly links to Bird’s post)
- A radical introduction to new small group members
- Bible interpretation test; universal? cultural? why?
- Why missionaries quit: Intro 1) finances 2) interpersonal issues 3) marriage 4) culture shock
- Culture Shock: 1) Intro, 2) responses; 3) indicators, 4) stages, 5) what to do (Joyce)
- A long and overdue family update
- The academy and the poor
- Short-term mission trips or religious tourism?
- Africa in perspective – how big it is (size comparison)
- The devil is in the details, and a PhD is hell
- 8 Lessons on leadership from Nelson Mandela
- It’s a girl!! (family)
- Mt. Kenya: a fun, misty, anniversary mudfest (family)
- Why Jesus turned water into wine
- my poisoned son and African reconciliation
- Christi’s reader response & a few family secrets
- Why African Christianity is [not] a mile wide and an inch deep
- A merry family Christmas
- I don’t need God, but those Africans sure do
- American Evangelicals and race: Part 1 (pre-civil rights), Part 2 (today)
- Why you don’t really read the Bible literally (the cosmic dome & contextualization)
- Why parts of Africa still need Western missionaries (guest post)
[At this point, I quit blogging seriously to try to focus on jump-starting my dissertation–lots of great quotes and links though. ] I’m out for now; sending this blog to purgatory
Rest of the Year:
- Cinderella and her missionary prince, a personal story (March)
- In the valley of the shadow of death, a baby crawls near the precipice (April)
- Africa’s time for missions; responding to shifts in global Christianity (Nabwera) (May)
- 5 books that helped shape how I read the Bible (June)
- African theology’s window of opportunity (Sept)
- Systemic challenges facing African theologians (Sept)